HEPA refers to high-efficiency particulate air. This type of air filter can trap various particles that a normal vacuum will only recirculate into the air. It is a form of air purifier as it removes these particles from the air. For a family that has members with asthma or allergies, the HEPA air purifiers are ideal as they can trap air pollutants from things such as pollen, mold, spores, pet dander, or dust mites. When looking for the best Hepa air purifier it is always important to find one that has the capacity to purify the size of the room you intend to use it in. This Hepa air purifier review looks at the top best Hepa air cleaners and the various benefits that accrue to you after using and while using the air purifiers. It is often advisable to use them in the rooms where they spend the most time in.
- Winix WAC5500
- True HEPA filtration: pollutants and allergens as small as 0.3 microns (99.97 percent of airborne particles)
- CADR rated: 350
- Other level of filtration: Odor Control Carbon Pre-Filter, PlasmaWave(TM) Technology
- Energy Star: yes
- Dimensions: 16.3 x 8.5 x 21.7
- Winix WAC9500
- True HEPA filtration: pollutants and allergens as small as 0.3 microns (99.97 percent of airborne particles)
- CADR rated: 284
- Other level of filtration: Washable Anti-Bacterial Pre-Filter, advanced odor control carbon filter, PlasmaWave Technology
- Energy Star: yes
- Dimensions: 16.5 x 8.9 x 21.9
- GermGuardian AC4825
- True HEPA filtration: dust mites, pet dander, plant pollens and more (99.97 percent of airborne particles)
- CADR rated: 100+
- Other level of filtration: UV-C and Odor Reduction
- Energy Star: yes
- Dimensions: 7 x 10.2 x 21.5
- Surround Air XJ-3800
- Intelli Pro HEPA filtration: dust mites, pet dander, plant pollens and more (99.97 percent of airborne particles)
- CADR rated: 600
- Other level of filtration: activated carbon filter, an ionizer, a photocatalytic (TiO2) filter, a germicidal UV lamp, a washable pre-filter, and an electrostatic dust collector
- Energy Star: no
- Dimensions: 14 x 10 x 24
- Fellowes AP-300PH
- True HEPA filtration: including pollen, ragweed and other allergens, mold spores, dust mites, viruses, germs, pet dander, cigarette smoke and odors (99.97 percent of airborne particles)
- CADR rated: 300
- Other level of filtration: PlasmaTRUE Technology, Carbon Filter, Sanitized antimicrobial technology
- Energy Star: yes
- Dimensions: 9.8 x 16.5 x 21.9
- HealthPro Plus
- Hyper HEPA filtration: dust mites, pet dander, plant pollens and more (99.97 percent of airborne particles)
- CADR rated: 900
- Other level of filtration: V5 filter that removes gas and odors
- Energy Star: no
- Dimensions: 28 x 16 x 15
Top 6 Hepa Air Purifiers
The GermGuardian AC4825 has the true Hepa filtration and captures 99.97% of allergens found in the air around the room. The allergens can include; pet dander, dust mites, pollen among other air pollutants. It also helps reduce odors that emanate from pets in the house, cooking or even smoking with carbon that is activated.
The model features a UV-C light that works with the filter in order to kill the bacteria that are airborne, spores from mold or viruses. The Hepa air filtration is also recommended by the American Academy of Pediatric Allergy and Immunology Doctors for use in reducing exposure to allergens that are found indoors and can trigger asthma attacks. It is a 22-inch model that is suitable for rooms that are small or middle-sized.
The 3-in-1 air cleaning system has an odor reduction system, UV-C and true Hepa. The True Hepa filtration can filter air particles as small as 3 microns. The odor reduction feature enables it to purify the air in the room. The UV-C, on the other hand, helps to kill the bacteria and the viruses that are airborne. It also has indicator lights. The lights indicate when the filter or the UV-C bulb needs to be replaced. The device is always tested by the manufacturers before they are packed and they may need resetting when purchased. The ultra-quiet operation makes it ideal for use even at night since it does not make noise. It is certified as being energy efficient and is also CADR rated 100+.
Winix WAC5500 True HEPA Air Cleaner
This model features among the top Hepa air purifiers due to its long life True Hepa air filtration that captures 99.97% of pollutants some as small as 0.3 microns. The pollutants include dust mites, pollen, and mold among other allergens and airborne pollutants. Winix WAC5500 air purifier has a carbon pre-filter that is designed for odor control. The prefilter’s function is to capture household odors such as offensive smoke and cooking odor.
The PlasmaWave(TM) Technology helps to neutralize the viruses, vapors, bacteria, and other odors. It does this by attacking them on a molecular level and does not produce harmful ozone. It also has a smart sensor with auto mode. This enables it to adjust the air cleaner settings in order to suit the room environment or the house that you are using it in.
It measures 16.3 x 8.5 x 21.7 inches and weighs about 18 pounds. The model is ideal for a large room or a family room that is about 350 sq. ft. The Winix WAC5500 True HEPA Air Cleaner combines Winix‘s PlasmaWave™ Technology, Special Long Life True HEPA Filtration and Odor Control Carbon Pre-filter in order to provide a superior solution to household odors.
It has an energy star and is qualified to save your money as it is greatly affordable. The automatic control is convenient and ideal since it helps in adjusting the settings to suit the specific environment. It has a great design that well fits in any room without ruining the original décor.
Winix WAC9500 HEPA Air Purifier
The Winix WAC9500 is a true Hepa air purifier that captures 99.99% of airborne air pollutants. Being a Hepa-type air purifier the device can help capture pollutants such as pollen, pet dander and other allergens that are as small as 0.3 microns.
It has an odor control carbon filter that is washable making maintenance quite easy. The odor control helps to capture pet odors that are offensive and other odors caused by smoke, cooking, and other household activities. The device also features a washable pre-filter. This helps capture larger particles that may not be captured by the Hepa filter. Such pollutants may include pet hairs and others that are large particles and also airborne. It is well designed and is white in color making it suitable for any décor that you have in the room without making it feel out of place.
It is made using the PlasmaWave technology which helps increase its efficiency. The technology is designed to neutralize the bacteria and the viruses that are found in the air by attacking them at a molecular level.
The bacteria, viruses, and odors in the air are neutralized making them less effective in causing allergens and other health problems. It also has smart sensors with an auto mode. The odor light and dust sensors help to adjust the settings of the air cleaner for it to suit the needs of the specific environment that it is operating in. The air cleaning occurs in four stages and has a programmable remote control.
Check out a more detailed Winix WAC9500 review.
Surround Air XJ-3800 HEPA Air Purifier
The best Hepa air filters are often those that are portable Hepa air purifiers. The Surround Air XJ-3800 is among this category due to its small design that enables it to be easily moved and carried from one place to the other.
It features a sensor technology that helps it to monitor the air quality and the performance of the filters and the various components. The sensors let you know when the time comes for you to replace the filters.
It combines various technologies to help increase its efficiency. These include the Hepa filter which capture small particles such as pollen and mold spores. The activated carbon filter helps in reducing odors that are found around the house mostly emanating from household activities such as cooking. It also has a pre-filer that helps to capture larger molecules that are floating in the air.
The germicidal UV Lamp is ideal for eliminating germs found in the air. The efficiency is further increased by the ionizer and the electronic dust collection grid. This makes it more effective since normal Hepa air purifiers do not facilitate dust removal.
It is energy efficient and uses the sensor technology that also helps in reducing the energy used by the device. It also offers a low-cost filter for replacement as well as a UV lamp. It has a quiet setting that helps maintain the quiet in the room and does not disrupt at night when you are asleep. The gray color makes its design and appearance more appealing as a small Hepa purifier.
Fellowes AP-300PH HEPA Air Filter
This is a good Hepa purifier for mold as it can cover large rooms of about 300 sq. ft. and also helps to remove about 99.97% of air pollutants found in the air. The device features an air purity sensor that helps monitor the air quality. The sensors also automatically adjust the speed of the fan in order to keep the air constantly purified.
The 99.97% of air purification is facilitated by the Hepa filter which helps to safely remove even the smallest of particles that can be as small as 0.3 microns. The pollutants can include pollen, ragweed and other allergen components that may be found in the air. They can also be mold spores, germs, viruses, odors, pet dander, smoke and also cigarette smoke.
It is made using plasma True technology that produces an ionized field. This field helps to safely remove the pollutants that are airborne. It also has an ultra quiet operation setting that allows for use even in rooms where peace and quiet are required.
The four-stage purification system is facilitated by the various features it has. The Hepa filter facilitates removal of smaller particles while the carbon filter helps to remove the larger particles that are airborne.
The display panel makes manipulation of the model easier as it indicates the filters need to be changed. The carbon filter lasts for a period of 3 months when it is used under normal usage. It also has a Sanitized antimicrobial technology that helps reduce the development of bacteria and also ensures that they are not recirculated into the air.
Health Pro Plus Air Purifier
The HealthPro plus Air Purifier was rated as a good Hepa air purifier for allergies by the consumer foundation of Germany. It is a large model that can be used in rooms that are as large as 900 sq. ft. and does not produce any harmful ozone while it is in operation.
It has a remote control system that makes it easy to control its operations from any part of the room. The integrated timer helps you to set the time that you intend for it to keep on before going off. This is also a good strategy to help in energy saving.
The filter life monitor helps monitor the air purity of the room and also helps in checking how effectively the device is performing. The Hepa technology used is the same that is used in air purification in hospitals and clean rooms and is thus ideal for such situations as well as for very large rooms.
The advanced gas and odor control enables it to remove and eliminate a wide range of chemicals that are airborne. It is an ozone free model that is proven to be effective for allergy control and other conditions such as asthma that are often triggered by various allergens found in the air. It measures 16 x 15 x 28 inches and weighs about 35 pounds and is thus not easily portable. The programmable control panel enables you to install your preferred settings to suit the specific area that you are working in.
Best HEPA Air Purifiers Comparison Chart
|Product name||Filtration||Energy star||CADR rated||Dimensions|
|Winix WAC5500||True HEPA: pollutants and allergens as small as 0.3 microns (99.97 percent of airborne particles)||yes||350||16.3 x 8.5 x 21.7|
|Winix WAC9500||True HEPA: pollutants and allergens as small as 0.3 microns (99.97 percent of airborne particles)||yes||284||16.5 x 8.9 x 21.9|
|GermGuardian AC4825||True HEPA: dust mites, pet dander, plant pollens and more (99.97 percent of airborne particles)||yes||100+||7 x 10.2 x 21.5|
|Surround Air XJ-3800||Intelli Pro HEPA: dust mites, pet dander, plant pollens and more (99.97 percent of airborne particles)||no||600||14 x 10 x 24|
|Fellowes AP-300PH||True HEPA: including pollen, ragweed and other allergens, mold spores, dust mites, viruses, germs, pet dander, cigarette smoke and odors (99.97 percent of airborne particles)||yes||300||9.8 x 16.5 x 21.9|
|HealthPro Plus||Hyper HEPA: dust mites, pet dander, plant pollens and more (99.97 percent of airborne particles)||no||900||28 x 16 x 15|
What Is a Hepa Filter?
Hepa refers to high-efficiency particulate air. It is ideal for purifying air especially in houses where some members are allergic to various air pollutants such as pollen and mold among others. It is used to filter the air removing small particles some as small as 0.3 microns. Most vacuums clean the air but recirculate some of the small particles into the air. The Hepa filters, however, ensure that they rid the air of the small molecules that often cause allergies and also result in asthma attacks among other triggers. They are manufactured in different categories and thus offer different abilities and functions.
The True Hepa filters often pass a test before they are considered worthy. The top rated Hepa purifiers are often able to trap at least 99.97% of air pollutants leaving the air clean. Such air purifiers will have a serial number that is assigned to them if they meet this criterion. The results of the test are often printed on the filter. They are also often more expensive than normal air purifiers. However, in order to be considered true or absolute, they need to perform up to a certain standard. There are also other types that are not considered true or absolute as they can only filter up to 80% of the air pollutants. Most of these are not able to tackle air pollutants that are smaller than 1 micron.
They help to trap particles that often lead to allergies and some that trigger asthma attacks. The different models are made in different sizes. The size of the device will determine how large a room it can be used in. It is often advisable for the filter to be used in rooms where the user spends the most time in. The smaller the Hepa air filter the smaller the room it can be used in. Most models will have a recommendation on the type of room that they can be used in.
The Benefits of Using a Hepa Air Filter
A Hepa air filter needs to be certified as being able to remove 99.97% of airborne particles. Air pollution is not just pollution from smoke emitted by car exhausts and factory smoke. It can be caused by anything that is in the air and results in negative effects on the air and those around that environment. Thus by removing the small particles that float around in the air the Hepa air filters help to filter polluted air.
- Cleaning the air – The main function of the Hepa filters is to clean the air in the rooms they are placed in. By capturing the particles that are airborne the filters help reduce the number of pollutants in the air. They are known as high-efficiency particulate air filters as they are able to rid the air of pollutants that are as small as 0.3 microns.
- Ridding the air of bad odor – The house may have various odors caused by various household chores. The odors may be from cooking, smoke, and other smells. The different models often have an odor control carbon pre-filter. This feature in the device helps to capture offensive smoke and other odors arising from household activities.
- Reduced allergies – Most allergic reactions are often caused by particles found in the air. The allergic reaction may be sneezing or a mild cold while at other times it may be more severe as it may lead to asthma attacks. This makes the filters ideal for people who suffer from allergic reactions caused by pollen, bacteria and other viruses that are airborne. The filters neutralize the bacteria and the viruses in the air at a molecular level. The bacteria are rendered ineffective as allergens without production of harmful ozone by the machines. The molecules can be as small as 0.3 microns.
- Convenience – The Hepa air filters offer convenience to the users. You are able to keep the air clean with minimum effort input. This is possible as the best Hepa air filters will have an automatic control. The device is able to adjust its settings to suit the specific need of the room that it is placed in. When in a room with too many particles it is able to adjust itself.
- Eliminates molds – Mold spores are often about 1-20 microns. They are best removed by air purifiers that can capture pollutants as small as 0.3 microns and operate at a rate of 99.97%. They help eliminate molds in the air leaving it hygienically healthy to breathe in.
- Removing pet dander – pets are often lovely companions to have around until they start leaving pet dander around. The air purifiers are a good way to rid the air of such contaminants. They are often beneficial when you have a cat as cats often stay in the house. By removing pet dander from the air they also help to reduce the risk of allergic reactions.
Air purifiers generally help make breathing easier especially for children and the elderly. The air is made cleaner and more ideal for the immune systems of children and the elderly who are more prone to allergic reactions.
Do Hepa Air Purifiers Really Work?
Air purifiers are a new technology that may leave some people wondering whether they successfully deliver the promises they make to potential buyers. The machines do work but only if they are used according to the instructions given and also other factors are taken into consideration.
In order to effectively experience the effects of an air purifier there are various things that you need to be aware of;
- Air purifiers do not eliminate the need for dusting – most consumers stop dusting their house once they have installed an air purifier. The air purifier works to remove small airborne pollutants and may not be able to remove dust and other particles that settle on the furniture and on the floor. Regular dusting is required to increase the air purification.
- Air purifiers eliminate the need for open windows – Open windows are a must in any home. They help to increase the air flow and thus increase the freshness of the air. It is thus important to ensure a free flow of air in the house. This mostly applies for people with allergies as closing the windows may prevent pollutants such as pollen from entering. It is crucial that windows are open for about 1-2 hours each day. The best Hepa air purifiers need to be supported by free flowing air.
- Different speeds of the air purifier will cover different sq. ft. of the room. Most people think that they can run the air purifier at any speed and it will cover the same air space. This is a misconception since when running at a low speed the air purifiers cover a smaller space. It can be run at a high speed for a few hours before it is turned on low speed later. Those that have a quiet operation system can be run at high speed all through since there is reduced the risk of the fans making a lot of noise during the whole time.
When you have allergies the air purifiers should not be used as the only control strategy. It should be part of the control program as it helps capture airborne particles but may not be effective when the particles are too many. At times the allergens may be too many and eventually fall to the ground warranting use of another method to dispense or eliminate them. It is also important to note that when handling dust mites the Hepa air purifiers will only capture those that are airborne and dust mite covers may be needed.
Where to Buy Hepa Air Purifier?
Purchasing a Hepa air purifier need not be a task that is time-consuming and tiring. It should be well researched and appropriately compared to others using the Hepa air purifier ratings that are provided in many Hepa air purifier reviews. When buying one it is important to consider the size of the device. The model should have an air purification capacity that is large enough to fit the specific room you intend to use it in. You should also consider whether it is portable or not as you may need to use it in different rooms in your house.
There are various places that one can purchase a Hepa air purifier. They include local electronics shops, malls, and supermarkets as well as online stores. Amazon is the best place to purchase them as you get access to consumer reviews as well as product descriptions before you get to purchase it. The site also offers various models allowing you to choose the specific brand that has features suiting your environment and air purification needs. It is always important to check that the item is new when buying online and to also read the consumer reviews. This way you get to know how efficient other consumers found the model.
The best Hepa air purifiers should be able to last long and have programmable controls. The air purifiers do work but most users often reap little benefits from it since they are not fully knowledgeable about how it functions. Different models have different systems but most work by use of electrostatic plates. As the air passes through the machine the pollen, mold spores and other pollutants get caught on the plates and the air coming out is rid of the pollutants. It is always important to look for those that do not produce ozone which will further pollute the air. Models featured in Hepa air purifier reviews often have Hepa purifiers that increase their efficiency. Such models are also normally more expensive as compared to others. Their functionality is normally increased since they also have carbon filters that help to eliminate odors in the house that may be as a result of household chores and other activities. They also help rid the air of smoke from cigarettes.